tips and tricks for beautiful hair
Written by Marion, Aesthetician/Cosmetician | published on
We aren’t all the same when it comes to hair. While some people have hair that grows at a rapid-fire speed, others have a tough time getting past the square cut. How does hair growth take place? What are the ways to optimize it? Focus on the tips and tricks to boost your hair growth.
Hair growth: explanations
The composition and life cycle of the hair
Hair has bristles. It’s made up of two parts:
- The root, which is deeply implanted under the skin, in a hair follicle;
- The shaft, part of the visible hair whose envelope is known as the cuticle.
The hair fiber is mainly made up of keratin, a protein which is produced by cells constantly: keratinocytes. The more active these cells are, the more nourished the hair is. Besides for keratin, other components are taken into account when it comes to the hair constitution: fatty acids, melanin, zinc, iron and various vitamins. The quality and quantity of all these elements favor good hair health.
Hair has a life cycle that follows the following pattern:
- The anagen phase: the longest period (3 to 5 years) during which the hair grows;
- The catagen phase: a transition phase with a timespan of about 2 to 3 weeks, where the hair growth speed is reduced;
- The telogen phase: resting period for about 6 months during which the hair doesn’t grow anymore. At the end of this period, it drops off as a new bulb grows.
Speed factors for hair growth
On an average, hair grows 0.3 mm per day. Over a month, growth reaches about 1 cm. However, this speed depends on several factors:
- The nature of the hair: fine, straight hair grows faster than curly or frizzy hair. Why? Because the follicle of a smooth hair is straight, which allows the hair to grow more easily;
- Origin: People of Asian origin have very smooth hair, while people of African origin have very curly hair naturally;
- Age: the older we get, the less efficient the production of keratin is, which affects the health of the hair;
- Hair disorders: some people suffer from alopecia, an uncontrolled and premature hair loss compared to the average lifespan of the hair fiber. Depending on the case, this pathology can lead to baldness (partial or total absence of hair);
- Lack of nutrients: hair growth is directly related to hair’s health. Vitamin or mineral deficiencies can make an impact on the proper development of the hair.
Hair recipes to make hair grow faster
Brewer's yeast as a dietary supplement
Vitamins of group B are very useful, when it comes to promoting the proper synthesis of keratin. Brewer's yeast is one of the richest foods in vitamin B, which makes it a genuine ally for healthy hair growth.
Brewer's yeast is one of the most common food supplements, to optimize hair’s health. It is available through various formats: capsules, tablets, or powder.
Make homemade hair care: recipe idea
To make a mask based on brewer's yeast, nothing else could be simpler: 1. Stir 2 egg yolks with 3 tablespoons of powdered brewer's yeast until you form a dough: 2. Apply the mixture to the scalp through a massage, to stimulate blood circulation; 3. Leave it for 45 minutes and then rinse.
Vegetable oils is well known for its benefits in dermatology. Hair’s health is also one of the virtues of certain fatty substances, such as castor oil. Due to its high fatty acid content, it nourishes and moisturizes hair in great depth, which favors good hair growth.
Although the smell can be rather unsettling, it is interesting to know that onion juice is rather rich in sulfur, a component that plays a key role in the synthesis of keratin. To make the most of its benefits and grow your hair, the best is to prepare an onion juice by mixing it and filtering the juice using a Strainer. Following which, distribute the juice directly at the root level, massage the scalp, then leave it on overnight, before completely washing it off.
How to preserve beautiful hair: our advise
Get regular haircuts to improve your health
It is common to hear that regular haircuts help the hair grow. In reality, this isn’t exactly the case, because when it comes to hair growth, the entire process takes place at the root level. So why do we say that having beautiful long hair comes with regular hairdressing appointments? Simply because removing the split ends of the hair, improve their health and favor better growth.
Wash your hair properly
Hair washing can be a real nightmare for the hair fiber when the washing is aggressive. Hair is fragile, and too much friction can promote breakage. To avoid this from happening, we recommend that you carry out a gentle, circular massage of the scalp using your fingertips.
Scrub your scalp
To optimize the renewal of skin cells and allow it to breathe better, regular exfoliation is recommended. The scalp is no exception. Between pollution, excess sebum and light rinses, the skin that makes up the scalp is rather abused. A gentle exfoliation made from a suitable exfoliating product, gives the hair a good environment, to grow properly.
Review your eating habits
Nutrients are key for the synthesis of keratin. To give the hair bulb the best shot at producing beautiful, long hair, here is a list of foods that can help you:
- Green vegetables;
- Foods rich in silica (banana, grapes, beer…);
- Fruits rich in vitamin C (lemon, orange, strawberry, grapefruit…).
A person's age, origin, and the nature of hair, makes a direct impact on how to grow hair properly. To optimize their growth and stack all odds on your side to have beautiful, healthy hair, you just need to pamper them by taking on the right actions and using the right ingredients.
The three essential points to keep in mind about hair growth:
- Hair is mainly made up of keratin. This protein ensures the health and strength of the hair;
- Brewer's yeast is the most suitable food supplement to favor hair growth;
- To maintain beautiful, long, healthy hair, avoid irritating the scalp with overly aggressive gestures.