Dietary supplements to the rescue of fragile hair
Written by Paul Musset, Doctor in Pharmacy | published on
Brittle, dull, fragile... Your hair looks dull and you would like to wake it up? Food supplements are a good way to get your hair back to health. Why use them? Which one to choose? How to optimise their effectiveness? Find out how to make food supplements a true beauty ally for your hair.
Dietary supplements for hair: what's the point?
Causes of fragile hair
Like skin, hair is a natural and living component of the body. It reacts to its environment and can be damaged by lack of care. However, some hair is more fragile than others. Here are some causes that can explain the fragility of hair.
- Nature: Curly hair is more fragile than others. Its curly shapes make it more difficult for sebum to flow properly. This is particularly the case with frizzy hair that has a curved follicle;
- Stress: It slows down blood flow and disrupts the balance of the hair, which is no longer properly nourished;
- A deficiency of iron, zinc or B vitamins, amino acids, etc;
- Hormonal disorder;
- The use of unsuitable hair products;
- Too frequent Brushings.
Why use a hair food supplement?
There are many solutions to help your damaged hair regain its health. Reviewing your diet to give your body all the nutrients it needs is the first reflex to adopt.
However, it's not always easy to find the right balance to restore your hair's strength. If it doesn't replace a balanced diet, a dietary supplement for hair can give it, and you, a real boost.
Rich in essential nutrients, it will help achieve two objectives:
- Limit the consequences of unhealthy hair: split ends, slower growth, alopecia…;
- Restores shine and suppleness to the hair fibre and helps maintain healthy hair.
How to choose the right dietary supplement for your hair?
The best components for healthy hair
If you take a look around the food supplement market, you will quickly see that there are a large number of products dedicated to hair beauty. At Cocooncenter, we have selected products among the biggest brands. Which composition should be preferred? Here is a list of ingredients that can help restore shine and vitality to your hair.
The main constituent of hair, it is naturally produced by keratinocytes, deep cells located in the hair follicle. A weakened hair often lacks keratin, which is why this protein is present in many hair care products, as well as in most dietary supplements for hair.
• Vitamin B
Essential to ensure the proper renewal of cells, especially those of hair follicles, vitamin B is the basic ingredient of most dietary supplements dedicated to hair maintenance.
Zinc deficiency, along with vitamin B, is one of the main factors in hair devitalization. It is therefore only logical that we find it in many nutritional supplements for hair beauty.
• Organic silicon
It is a trace element that has a stimulating effect on the scalp and the production of keratin. It strengthens the hair structure and gives it strength and shine. Organic silicon also improves blood flow, which helps to limit hair loss linked to poor blood circulation.
• Royal jelly
It is known for its stimulating qualities. Royal jelly is particularly useful for boosting the body's immune system. Its action does not stop there, because it also helps to fill certain deficiencies and revitalize the hair by acting on the regeneration of the hair fibre.
• Brewer's yeast and selenium
Its high vitamin B and selenium content makes it a real ally for damaged hair. Rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, brewer's yeast helps to purify the fibre, strengthen the structure of the hair and protect it from damage. This dietary supplement is also recommended in the prevention of alopecia.
This very complete ingredient has become the flagship product of many hairdressing professionals. Particularly rich in vitamins, mineral salts and proteins, it has a revitalising action on the hair fibre.
• Soy lecithin
Allied to dry and fragile hair, soya lecithin participates in cell renewal. Its moisturising power nourishes the hair in depth.
• Sulphurous amino acids
Do you want to get shinier and more radiant hair? Amino acids such as cysteine and methionine play a key role in hair vitality.
Selenium: The hair antioxidant
Selenium is a trace element particularly interesting for its antioxidant properties. It participates in the protection of hair bulb cells against oxidative damage.
Cure dietary supplements for hair: our advice
Before starting a cure of dietary supplements, it is important to identify the origin of your hair disorder. For example, a blood test may reveal a possible vitamin deficiency. This will make it easier for you to choose the supplement that best suits your needs.
As far as the duration of the cure is concerned, it is quite variable and depends completely on the product chosen and the objective set. In any case, it is important to know that it will generally take several months to obtain a result.
Finally, to optimise the effectiveness of your special treatment for fragile hair, it is important to adopt an adapted hair routine in parallel. Here is our advice:
- Reduce the frequency of shampoos that may be too aggressive for the hair;
- Treat your hair with a hair mask whose objective is to strengthen the hair fibre;
- Limit the use of heating accessories such as smoothing irons. Favour natural drying or the use of a hair dryer provided the temperature is not too high;
- Give hair a regular cut to restore strength and tone. No need to be drastic, a simple cut at the ends is very beneficial for the health of the hair.
Hair is like skin, it needs to be pampered to reveal its beauty. Dietary supplements combined with an adapted hair routine can stimulate your hair for a sublimated style.
Three key points to remember about hair supplements:
- Damaged hair can have different causes, which are mainly related to stress, dietary deficiencies and hormonal imbalance;
- Vitamin B, zinc and keratin are the main components of a good hair supplement;
- To guarantee the effectiveness of the food supplements, a cure of 3 to 6 months is recommended.